111 Places in Edinburgh That You Must Not Miss
- The ultimate insider's guide to Edinburgh
- Features interesting and unusual places not found in traditional travel guides
- Part of the international 111 Places/111 Shops series
- Appeals to both the local market (500,000 people call Edinburgh home) and the tourist market (more than 3.5 million people visit Edinburgh every year!)
- Fully illustrated with 111 full-page colour photographs
Edinburgh is rightly celebrated for its famous historical and cultural attractions. But for the discerning visitor it has much more to offer away from the well-worn tourist trail. This book takes you to hidden corners and secret sights in this city of contrasts, exploring fascinating locations unknown even to most residents, and revealing unexpected aspects of some familiar local landmarks. Marvel at a unique underground temple hewn out of the living rock; learn how a world-famous illusionist came to be buried here – with his dog; find out why the city council once commissioned an enormous electric blanket; look out for the ordinary Edinburgh post box with an explosive history. Discover the human stories behind a wide range of places, both exceptional and commonplace, bringing to life the greatly varied cityscape where people have been leaving their mark for at least 5,000 years.