- This is the first book to present a selection of the best creative work by Raúl Cañibano in Cuba: 30 years, captured in 100 pictures
- The most beautiful, clever, and sensual photographic take on the attitudes to life on the largest Caribbean Island: VIVA CUBA!
- Raúl Cañibano captures the essence of Cuba in his award-winning documentary and artistic work
- Public collections in Cuba, like the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, have acquired works of Raúl Cañibano, as has the International Center of Photography (icp) in New York
- Raúl Cañibano has been awarded the Grand Prix of Cuban photography
- Leonardo Padura Fuentes, one of the most successful and popular contemporary writers in Cuba, delivers a stimulating introduction to the volume. (He is also famous for completely revamping Cuban crime fiction)
- Text in English, German and Spanish
"A new book of black and white images, taken over three decades, showcases Raúl Cañibano’s love for his native country." — Mee-Lai Stone, Guardian
"Raúl Cañibano’s photographs of post-revolution Cuba transcend the trite depictions of the island nation. In Absolut Cuba, he celebrates the extraordinary lives of ordinary Cubans, as only a native eye can." — Black&White Photography Mag
"A stunning book, it is truly a masterpiece of photographic excellence that everyone can learn from." — Amateur Photographer
This beautiful book presents a selection of Cuban photographer Raúl Cañibano’s photographic oeuvre from nearly three decades. In these affectionate and astute photographs, he captures the heart and soul of Cuba. He seeks out Cubans as they are, in everyday situations, in their homes, on the streets, in the fields, and in the cities. In these images, the artist captures the eternal human drama: faith, old age, death, games, tenderness, love, anxiety, and a desire for beauty. His subjects appear as themselves in all their complexity, granting us a look into their inner lives.
Text in English, German and Spanish.