Ventures into Global Agriculture
- This book takes the reader on an immersive journey through landscapes and situations of modern-day agriculture
- The authors tell you intimate stories of diverse stakeholders and provide an insight into complex scientific, political, legal and philosophic ideas
- Agriculture is the single most transformative thing humans are collectively doing to the planet
- F. Huber and U. Martin have been documenting the social and environmental consequences of global agriculture since 2007
- In a slow journalism approach they build close relationships with their Interview partners, so the projects grow organically, chapter by chapter, in a constant cycle of research, production, and presentation
- Featuring many great unseen pictures
Agriculture drives climate change, extinction, erosion and water depletion. It uses about 40 percent of all land on earth and more than 70 percent of all freshwater. Due to over-exploitation of the soil and climate change, desertification is one of the greatest threats to life on earth. F. Huber and U. Martin have been documenting the social and environmental consequences of global agriculture since 2007. In a slow journalism approach they build close relationships with farmers, ranchers and fishermen, and interview policy makers, activists and scientists.
The book is divided in three big parts with 350 extraordinary, touching photos: White Gold (2007-2012) examines the social and ecological effects of global cotton production. LandRush (2011-ongoing) analyses the impact of large-scale agro-investments on rural economies and land rights, the boom of renewable fuels, the reallocation of land, and the future of agriculture around the world. Dry West (2014-ongoing) documents the hydrological society and human-shaped landscapes of the American West, where rivers run in concrete beds, across mountains and deserts and up towards money.
Contents: Introduction, Texas Blues, Killing Seeds, Burkina Dreams, Dying Sea, The Road, The Farm, Familiy Affairs, Full Circle, California Drought, American Nile, Dustbowl Riviera.
- Sieveking Verlag
- Publish date
- 13th Sep 2021
- World excluding Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 240 mm x 170 mm
- 450 Pages
- 350 color