Letizia Battaglia: Anthology
Log in to add this to your wishlist.
- A large selection of Letizia Battaglia iconic black and white images
- Guides the reader along a journey into one of post-war Italy's darkest periods
- Drawing from Battaglia's personal archive, the book also includes more recent explaratory projects into Sicilian life
Full DescriptionA large selection of Letizia Battaglia's iconic black and white images are presented in this catalogue, guiding the reader along a journey into one of post-war Italy's darkest periods. Drawing from Battaglia's personal archive, the book also includes some of the photographer's more recent projects. It offers a unique approach to her genre-defining work (often likened to that of American 'crime' photographer Weegee) and a chance to reflect on the role of photography as an individual and collective means for taking action, bearing witness, providing evidence and documenting history. The Daily Beast wrote that Battaglia's pictures capture "Mafia judges and police officers, many dead in their cars with blood so fresh it glimmers like water." Yet some present daily Sicilian life with "young girls playing on the cobbled streets and wealthy women in fur collars sipping champagne." The breadth of Battaglia's ouevre paints a portrait of Sicily across the turning point of the centuries.
- Drago International Entertainment
- 19th Nov 2019
- World excluding Italy, France, USA & Canada
- 330 mm x 250 mm
- 360 Pages
- 187 b&w