The Jewish Wetzlar family from Munich had a renowned silverware shop with an adjoining workshop, founded in 1875 and located on Maximilianstraße, the famously elegant promenade in Munich. Their work was based on their own, as well as a range of artists' designs. In 1938, the family were forced to abandon the business due to the ethnic cleansing in Germany of all Jews throughout the Second World War. They emigrated to London, thereby escaping persecution but losing their livelihood.
Brothers Friedrich and Leonhard Kleemann benefitted from the family's departure, carrying on the shop and the workshop into the post-war era, however, the influence and artistic legacy of the Wetzlar family was lost, forgotten in time. The purpose of this volume is a long overdue celebration of their wonderfully creative and original silver work and to set it in its historical context; a recognition of their importance and influence in the history of silver craftsmanship and design.
As well as detailing the history of both the family and the company they founded, this is a presentation of the incredible range of their creative work, held both in public and private collections. Additionally, contemporary photographs and drawings show further works, mainly silverware items for well-to-do middle-class households including tableware such as coffee and tea services, sets of cups and cutlery. Previously almost unknown Kunstwart Cutlery from the year 1908, and the Munich Municipal Cutlery of 1930, are presented here for the first time, and will be of particular interest to cutlery enthusiasts and collectors.
Text in English and German.