Encounters by Design
Strategies for Spatial Stories
- Showcases over 30 of Atelier Markgraph’s most outstanding works, ranging from art installations, museums, exhibitions, pavilions, events, urban activation and more
- Illustrated throughout with powerful photography, effectual collages and insightful progress sketches
- Perceptive commentary with novel outlooks and thought-provoking writing that is sure to challenge existing perspectives
- Explores the imaginative, novel practice of spatial storytelling, and Markgraph’s role in spearheading the movement
- Traces the lineage of Markgraph’s visionary practice, with sharp references to the thinkers and history of art and architecture
- Examines Markgraph’s commitment to hybrid models of design that integrate analogue and digital elements
- Geared towards readers interested in comprehensive design methodologies which pay close attention to the people who interact with them
- Includes projects for Momem, Mercedes-Benz, Magnum, ZDF, Vitra, Viessmann, Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt, Evangelische Akademie Frankfurt, Ötztal Tourismus, Viega, Stadt Frankfurt, and many more.
With decades of experience and a fresh perspective, Atelier Markgraph has been crafting small- and large-scale spaces and installations that resonate with the public and their clients. Spaces are not meant to sit empty, devoid of human interaction. Markgraph knows this and crafts spatial experiences with exceptional intentionality and precision, all the while never forgetting what really matters: the encounters between people and space. The Atelier is made up of talented storytellers, who use space as a medium to craft narratives and encounters using a radically dynamic mix of digital and analog elements, elegantly integrated with one another. Using the studio’s projects as case-studies, Erika Brandl Mouton guides readers with poignant writing and perceptive insights through the philosophy of spatial encounters and stories. Coupled with François-Luc Giraldeau’s editorial expertise, this volume breaks down complex notions, creating accessible content that upholds the integrity of the Atelier’s practice. What follows is a captivating title, shining light on an accomplished, perpetually forward-looking studio. This is how we meet. Welcome.
- Frame Publishers B.V.
- Publish date
- 26th Mar 2024
- USA & Canada
- 9.5 in x 11 in
- 320 Pages