Poetic Truths of Home and Motherhood
- A plea for the mothers who suffered the most professionally and socially during the pandemic of the last two years and felt left alone
- An exciting and intimate look at the tireless female workers and their 'workplaces,' where 'time off' has always been a foreign phrase
- For the first time, the book addresses the equal recognition of the most important person in everyone's life
- Read an interview with photographer and filmmaker Karni Arieli here
- See the June 2023 book launch at the Royal Photography Society
- The eye mama project is a Silver Lovie and People's Lovie Winner in Social: Public Service & Activism, in the 13th Annual Lovie Awards 2023 presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences
“We all have or had a mother. But does that mean we know how she thinks and feels? And what does she see? Here are heart-breaking and weird, tired, funny and above all honest looks from mothers into their everyday lives.” — Der Spiegel
“A constellation of visions to remind us that motherhood comes in different forms and all of them are worthy of attention.” — Vogue Italia
“The final result is stunning. A deeply moving visual feast, each image capturing the most recognizably intimate, the most fraught, the most gorgeously humdrum moment in the life of a mother, a family, a home.” — romper
“Stress, love, joy—what mothers photographed during the pandemic.” — National Geographic
“It’s authentic, beautiful, inclusive, tender and visceral… Finally, the complex, personal experience of motherhood is explored, examined, and celebrated in all its rich nuance.” — Aesthetica
The Eye Mama book is a photographic portfolio showcasing the mama narrative and the mama gaze, what female and non-binary photographers see when they look at, and into the home.
Based on the Eye Mama Project, a photography platform sharing a curated feed by photographers worldwide who identify as mamas, the Eye Mama book brings together more than 150 images to render what is so often invisible — caregiving, mothering, family and the post-motherhood self — visible.
Eye mama was created by BAFTA-nominated filmmaker and photographer Karni Arieli during the pandemic, when everyone around the world was in lockdown and spending more time in the home, often consumed by caregiving. The visual movement centres around the “mama gaze”, an introspective look at home and care by female and non-binary visual artists.
This iconic book of photographs brings together the images from this movement, experiencing the light and dark of care and parenthood, the beauty of close-up details, love and hardship, and most importantly, the personal poetic truths of these mamas and artists.
The Eye Mama book highlights the narrative of motherhood, allowing us to see for the first time in history through the eyes of mamas worldwide, because mama gaze matters!
The Eye Mama Project has been featured in National Geographic, Vogue, Stern, Romper, British Journal of Photography, Creative Review and more. Go to www.eyemamaproject.com to find out more
Text in English and German.
- teNeues Books
- 7th Jun 2023
- USA & Canada
- 9.25 in x 11.81 in
- 224 Pages
- 150 color