111 Places in New York That You Must Not Miss
Territory: USA & Canada
Size: 5.25 in x 8 in
Illustrations: 111 color
- The ultimate insider's guide to New York City
- Features interesting and unusual places not found in traditional travel guides
- Part of the international 111 Places/111 Shops series with over 150 titles and 1 million copies in print worldwide
- Appeals to both the local market (nearly 8.5 million call NYC home) and the tourist market (over 50 million people visit NYC every year)
- Fully illustrated with 111 full-page color photographs
New York, New York - a crazy quilt of evolving neighborhoods, trends, and tastes, and home to natives and newcomers of every nationality, ethnicity, and outlook. New York City's history and grand ambitions live in every street, park, and hidden alleyway.
This unusual guidebook invites the adventurous and curious to explore a wildly diverse selection of little-known places, including: a trapeze school, a giant Buddha in a former porno theater, a Coney Island sideshow, Louis Armstrong's home, a Central Park croquet court, a Gatsby-era speakeasy, and a secret balcony where slaves worshipped 200 years ago. Play chess with the masters on a Midtown office-tower wall; have a pint at a legendary prizefighter's hangout in Soho; whisper messages across a crowded train station. Unexpected and quirky, most of these destinations are so under-the-radar they will astound even longtime New Yorkers who thought they knew it all!
What the press have said about this book...
"...more often than not, the entries offer some insight or unusual fact that makes this collection sparkle." -- June Sawyers, Chicago Tribune