111 Places in Austin That You Must Not Miss
Territory: USA & Canada
Size: 5.25 in x 8 in
Illustrations: 111 color
Name of series: 111 Places
- The ultimate insider's guide to Austin
- Features interesting and unusual places not found in traditional travel guides
- Part of the international 111 Places/111 Shops series with over 250 titles and 1.5 million copies in print worldwide
- Appeals to both the local market (more than 950,000 people call Austin home) and the tourist market (more than 20 million people visit Austin every year!)
- Fully illustrated with 111 full-page color photographs
Those who know Austin know it to be a magical place. Live music surges through the air and cleansing creek water flows through the hills. The motto, 'Keep Austin Weird', illustrates residents' appreciation for small businesses and kooky, eccentric local characters. It's never felt quite like the rest of Texas here. Still, there's the same sense of intense pride for one's place.
The underbelly of Austin is just as full of strange delights as its surface is. Scandals and corruption reveal themselves in this political town. The legacies of one of the earliest serial killers and mass shootings linger ominously. Yet despite its dark secrets, little-known stories of progress and creativity abound too. Music venues and local pools have fought and continue to fight racism. There is a universal love for queso, a Tex-Mex delicacy, and Leslie, an iconic cross-dressing homeless activist who was said to personify the city's motto - these stories bring people together, and now they're yours to discover.