Atelier Deshaus 2001–2020
- First comprehensive monograph on Shanghai-based Atelier Deshaus, one of the first private design firms in China and one of the country’s most exciting ones
- Offers deep insights into the contemporary Chinese architecture scene and the challenges of working as a non-governmental enterprise in the country
- Richly illustrated with images and plans, with most of the material previously unpublished
- Forthcoming solo exhibition at Royal Institute of British Architects in London (Autumn 2021)
Shanghai-based Atelier Deshaus, founded in 2001 as one of the first private architectural firms in China, is one of the country’s most important and innovative design studios. The architects made their name worldwide in 2014 with the much-acclaimed West Bund site for Shanghai’s Long Museum, which has since been followed by a series of further museum and other art-related projects. Such cultural and community buildings of various scale are the main focus of Atelier Deshaus, who refuse the usual commercial construction tasks in China. Their formally strong buildings are developed from reading the site with special attention being paid to the preservation of Shanghai’s industrial heritage after decades of a tabula rasa policy in the city’s urban development.
At the core of this first monograph are Atelier Deshaus’s 20 most important designs from two decades. They are documented in rich detail through plans and images as well as concise explanatory texts by the architects. In an extensive conversation with Hubertus Adam, the firm’s principals Liu Yichun and Chen Yifeng offer insights into their way of thinking, their understanding of Chinese tradition, their relation to art, and the challenges of working as a non-governmental office in China. Additional essays place Atelier Deshaus in the context of contemporary international architecture and discuss their key projects with regard to constructive qualities and atmosphere.
- Park Books
- 17th Jan 2023
- Paperback / softback
- World excluding Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, United States, Canada, and Japan
- 285 mm x 210 mm
- 280 Pages
- 136 color, 242 b&w
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.