Audubon’s Birds of America
Baby Elephant Folio
- The finest single-volume edition of Audubon's Birds of America — with a luxurious 381 x 304mm trim size — is back in stock
- This printing features a new natural-textured paper stock, a strikingly redesigned cover and slipcase, and improved typography throughout
- Edited by legendary ornithologist Roger Tory Peterson and his wife and collaborator Virginia Maria Peterson
- Presents all 435 of Audubon's plates in modern taxonomic order, with the Peterson's commentaries on each bird
- An abundantly illustrated introduction surveys Audubon's life and career and the history of American bird art before and after him
Abbeville’s classic edition of The Birds of America is back in stock — in a striking new package.
The Baby Elephant Folio presents all 435 of John James Audubon’s brilliant hand-coloured engravings in exquisite reproductions derived from the original plates of the rare Double Elephant Folio. Although many attempts have been made to re-create the splendid illustrations in Audubon’s masterpiece, nothing has ever equaled the level of fidelity achieved in this luxurious edition.Organised and annotated by Roger Tory Peterson and Virginia Marie Peterson, this volume is as informative as it is beautiful. Its fascinating introduction places Audubon in the context of the history of American ornithological art and also reproduces a wide sampling of the work of his notable predecessors and disciples, including Roger Tory Peterson’s own rightfully famous paintings. A new systematic arrangement of the prints, following the modern classification of species, and descriptive captions about each bird allow us to appreciate Audubon’s achievement in the light of modern ornithology.
- Abbeville Press
- Publish date
- 24th Oct 2023
- World excluding USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia and New Zealand
- 381 mm x 304 mm
- 696 Pages
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.