Bernina transversal. Guido Baselgia – Bearth und Deplazes
Architecture and Photography – Intervention and Reaction
- Features Guido Baselgia’s striking photographs of the landscape and infrastructure buildings in the winter landscape on Bernina pass in the Swiss Alps and a documentation of the new road maintenance base on the pass designed by renowned Swiss firm Bearth & Deplazes Architekten
- The maintenance base’s tower contains a camera obscura at the top that is open to the public
- Rhaetian Railway’s Bernina line is a UNESCO World Heritage site and its Bernina Express trains are a major international tourist attraction
- Text in English, German and Italian
The unique convergence of architecture and landscape found on the Bernina Pass inspired Swiss photographer Guido Baselgia to create a visual epic. The result is a one-of-a-kind presentation of the new road maintenance base near Bernina Pass, designed by renowned Swiss firm Bearth & Deplazes Architekten, in a seemingly arctic winter landscape. Baselgia explored the territory along the road and railway line with his analogue camera. His images also draw a connection between the existing infrastructures for traffic and energy production – built over the course of the landscape’s industrialisation and continued development since the late 19th century – to the architecture of the new maintenance base.
A concavely curved shield wall topped by a round tower is all that is visible of this vast, purely functional, and largely underground space. The shield wall cuts a segment from the existing topography and thereby encloses a courtyard along with an area of the surrounding landscape. The tower refuses direct encoding – until entering the camera obscura at its very top, which connects photography, architecture, and landscape to reveal that this place is about insights and not outlooks.
The book features a selection of Guido Baselgia’s striking photographs and reproductions of camera obscura images from the tower in outstanding duotone reproduction and documents Bearth & Deplazes’ architecture through concise texts, images, and selected plans.
Text in English, German and Italian.
- Park Books
- 14th Oct 2021
- World excluding Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, United States, Canada, and Japan
- 300 mm x 300 mm
- 144 Pages
- 70 color, 8 b&w