Poetry in the Sky
- Nature as a work of art: birds in their habitat, spectacularly presented in their natural surroundings
- The award-winning Winged Prism photo series in a coffee table book for the first time
- For bird lovers and all those looking for an illustrated book that ventures beyond photojournalism and stylised studio shots
- Third placed in the Nature Book category at Prix de la Photographie Paris 2023
“striking imagery…stunning depictions” — Birdwatch
“One need not ponder whether Birds: Poetry in the Sky is more a bird book or an art book: it fits each category. But whatever shelf it belongs on is really irrelevant – it’s enough to say that the book is magnificent.” — 10,000 Birds
“…This is photographic art of birds ‘where they live’ and where humans must watch in awe.” — Wildlife Australia
The fascination birds evoke in us continues unabated. Australian artist and photographer Christian Spencer, living in the vicinity of the Brazilian rainforest since 2001, has surrendered to it as well.
“The camera is my brush,” is how he describes his style. His photographs truly capture the poetry of nature, letting its beauty speak for itself — which is why he forgoes any image editing. He was the first to capture the breathtakingly fast beating of hummingbirds’ wings in the sunlight, which forms a rainbow in the air.
The world of birds unfolds before his lens in all its colourful glory and elegance: in reflections on the water, between blossoms and trees, and high above the treetops.
Text in English and German.
- teNeues Books
- 20th Sep 2022
- World excluding Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands
- 340 mm x 275 mm
- 224 Pages
- 120 color