David Bowie by Sukita
- Spectacular illustrated book on David Bowie with exquisite photos by Masayoshi Sukita
- Unique portrait of an artist’s friendship: impressive texts describe the closeness between musician and photographer
- Over 200 known and unknown pictures of David Bowie in black-and-white and in colour, for the first time in a book
With shimmering outfits, poetic texts and energetic performances David Bowie delighted millions of fans. As Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom or the Thin White Duke he proved his innovative power and eagerness to experiment. Bowie showed the world that, to stay true to yourself, you have to keep on reinventing yourself.
On the occasion of the 5th anniversary of Bowie’s death, photographer Masayoshi Sukita presents an extraordinary illustrated book on the celebrated musician, actor and producer. During their 40-year cooperation Sukita captured the essence of Bowie – in iconic black-and-white photos and extravagant portrait photos. The best of them were chosen for this book and topped off with informative texts.
The musician and his photographer – a different Bowie biography“Bowie was not like other rock’n’rollers, he had that certain something, and I knew, I wanted to turn that into pictures.” – This is how Sukita remembers meeting the exceptional musician for the first time in 1972. Sukita’s work mirrors the artist’s eventful life as well as eventful times. Through his camera he looks at manipulative strategies of self-presentation, of creating fictional characters, that commenced in the ’70’s art and music and were brought to perfection by David Bowie. A kaleidoscope of timeless portraits, far from the usual rock star snapshots! Text in English and German.
- Delius Klasing Verlag GmbH
- 4th Mar 2021
- World excluding Germany, Switzerland and Austria
- 297 mm x 210 mm
- 128 Pages
- 114 color