The Secret Art of Upholstery
- Follow 400 years of upholstered furniture history chronologically
- A new view of upholstered furniture and its cultural-historical importance
- Includes an extensive glossary and bibliography
- Accompanies an exhibition at Grassi Museum of Applied Arts, Leipzig (DE), 24 November 2022 – 26 March 2023
Upholstered pieces of furniture are familiar to all of us as more or less constant companions of everyday life. Upholstery is comfortable, it conveys security and promises comfort, it has a specific design, asserts or creates status and tells a (hi)story.
We rarely consider its interior. At the same time, a view into the hidden content of chairs and armchairs is a journey into secrets, into lashed and sprung constructions that prove to be unknown masterpieces of craftsmanship. Deep-Seated. The Secret Art of Upholstery explores furniture and its interiors and explains why upholstery is always also a part of cultural and social history.
With contributions by Thomas Andersch, Maximilian Busch, Cordula Fink, Thomas Rudi, Stefanie Seeberg, Thomas Schriefers, Xenia Schürmann, and a foreword by Olaf Thormann.
Text in English and German.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- Publish date
- 16th Jan 2023
- Paperback / softback
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East non-exclusive
- 297 mm x 210 mm
- 392 Pages
- 390 color