Designing Spaces for Early Childhood Development
Sparking Learning & Creativity
- Provides indepth examples of educational architecture and environment design for childhood development and learning
- Expands on indoor as well as outdoor environmental designs, rather than just the kindergarten building itself
- Provides expert commentary and insightful interpretations of each case study
- Includes interviews with the designers who cover how they collaborated and enhanced their ideas by liaising directly with the architects
- Highlights how the design and space helps children to shape their own personal curriculum
- Presents in stunning full-colour throughout a wide range of case studies from around the world
Contemporary pedagogy contends that children's growth and development takes place through experiences. This book is intended to uncover the relationship between child development and early childhood space design through an exciting selection of kindergarten, childcare, and nursery designs from around the world, each of which provides authentic, stimulating, and meaningful environments full of rich and active hands-on experiences to facilitate children's access to nature and human connection as they discover the world and assimilate everything they need to grow and thrive. Rather than merely the design of preschool buildings, the book focuses on the quality of the space. A brief editor's note is given for each case to highlight the important elements of the design, use, and function that help children to shape their own personal curriculum.
A short interview - a dialogue with the architect - is also offered after some of the projects for readers to gain greater insight into the ideas and processes of the architects. Highly illustrated with stunning full-colour throughout, this book hopes to spark the design inspirations of kindergarten architects, interior designers, outdoor playground designers, and child educators on how to design a quality space for children.
- Images Publishing Group
- 18th Jan 2018
- World excluding Japan and South East Asia
- 290 mm x 235 mm
- 256 Pages
- 400 color