Divine New York
Inside the Historic Churches and Synagogues of Manhattan
- Outstanding photography of the breathtaking interiors of 65 historic houses of worship in Manhattan
- Includes major tourist attractions (like St. Pat’s) as well as many less familiar gems
- A highly readable text brings the history of these churches and synagogues to life
- A great gift for New Yorkers and tourists alike: plan your own walking tour of these beautiful and uplifting city sanctuaries
For the past 15 years, Michael L. Horowitz has been photographing the interiors of Manhattan’s historic churches and synagogues. Though their exteriors are often unassuming and overlooked by passers-by, their interiors are spectacular, uplifting worshippers and architectural devotees alike. In this book, Horowitz takes us from Lower to Upper Manhattan, from the colourful wall paintings of Bialystocker Synagogue, to the jewel-like stained glass windows of Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, to the awe-inspiring wooden ceiling of the Holy Name of Jesus and Saint Gregory the Great Parish. A lively and informative text by Elizabeth Anne Hartman tells the stories behind each of the 65 houses of worship featured. These sacred edifices reflect the hopes and aspirations of the many different communities that helped build the metropolis, expressed in numerous architectural and artistic styles. And many of these interiors bear the imprint of notable personalities in Big Apple history, from Clement Moore of The Night before Christmas to pioneering Black philanthropist Pierre Toussaint. This handsome volume, nourishing to the eyes and soul, offers a new perspective on the city to New York residents and visitors alike.
- Abbeville Press
- 16th Mar 2023
- World excluding USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia and New Zealand
- 254 mm x 203 mm
- 240 Pages
- 150 colour
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.