Drawn From Nature
The Flowering of Irish Botanical Art
- Foreword by Dr Shirley Sherwood, OBE
- Features 220 colour illustrations
- Unique account of Irish botanical art by author, art historian, and curator, Patricia Butler
- Demonstrates the significant contributions made by Irish artists in the field of botanical art
- Glorious botanical artworks from the 17th century to the present
For centuries, artists of all disciplines have expressed delight in nature through the highly skilled and captivating medium of botanical art.
The distinguished contributions of Irish botanical artists include records of plants from 17th-century Ireland, early illustrated floras and botanical art found in the field of design. Drawn from Nature: The Flowering of Irish Botanical Art also covers the importance of botanical art to the Ordnance Survey of Ireland during the 19th century, as well as the vital plant portraits produced by Irish women. These portraits assisted generations of botanists in understanding and describing the natural world but received scant recognition.
Published for the first time, these outstanding examples of Irish botanical art, from both public and private collections, demonstrate a shared desire by botanical artists to observe, illuminate and record Ireland’s unique flora. This book finally affords them the recognition they deserve.
- ACC Art Books
- Publish date
- 9th Oct 2023
- 270 mm x 215 mm
- 256 Pages
- 220 color
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.