- Ernst Scheidegger (1923–2016) ranks among the most distinguished Swiss photographers of the 20th century
- Ernst Scheidegger is revered internationally for his portraits of famous artists such as Alberto Giacometti, Joan Miró, and Hans Arp
- This book offers the first-ever comprehensive survey of Scheidegger’s largely unknown early work, featuring numerous previously unpublished photographs
- Takes a fresh look at Scheidegger as a photographer and revaluates his oeuvre from a contemporary perspective
- Marks Ernst Scheidegger’s centenary on 30 November 2023
- Exhibitions: Ernst Scheidegger — Photographer at Kunsthaus Zürich (27 October 2023-21January 2024) and at MASI Lugano (2024)
Ernst Scheidegger (1923–2016) ranks among Switzerland’s most distinguished 20th-century photographers. His portraits of artists made his name internationally. Scheidegger’s photographs of Alberto Giacometti at his Paris studio or in his native Val Bregaglia in Switzerland continue to shape the public image of this celebrated artist today.
Marking the centenary of Ernst Scheidegger, who was also the founder of the Scheidegger & Spiess publishing house, this book offers a fresh and contemporary look at his multi-faceted body of work. It is based on an extensive reappraisal of his estate and features a concise selection of iconic and lesser-known images that demonstrated Scheidegger’s prowess as a portraitist. More importantly, however, the volume enables an encounter with Scheidegger’s hitherto little-published early work and thus undertakes a reassessment of his entire oeuvre. Essays by Tobia Bezzola, art historian and director of the MASI Lugano, Alessa Widmer, curator and artistic director of Photo Basel art fair, and Helen Grob, Scheidegger’s long-time companion, trace his career and self-concept as a photographer. A biography and brief texts on a selection of key examples of Scheidegger’s art round off this beautifully designed photo book.
- Scheidegger & Spiess
- Publish date
- 1st Dec 2023
- World excluding Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, United States, Canada, and Japan
- 300 mm x 240 mm
- 196 Pages
- 150 b&w