Poetic Truths of Home and Motherhood
- A plea for the mothers who suffered the most professionally and socially during the pandemic of the last two years and felt left alone
- An exciting and intimate look at the tireless female workers and their 'workplaces,' where 'time off' has always been a foreign phrase
- For the first time, the book addresses the equal recognition of the most important person in everyone's life
- Read an interview with photographer Karni Arieli here
The Eye Mama book is a photographic portfolio showcasing the mama narrative and the mama gaze, what female and non-binary photographers see when they look at, and into the home.
Based on the Eye Mama Project, a photography platform sharing a curated feed by photographers worldwide who identify as mamas, the Eye Mama book brings together more than 150 images to render what is so often invisible — caregiving, mothering, family and the post-motherhood self — visible.
Eye mama was created by BAFTA-nominated filmmaker and photographer Karni Arieli during the pandemic, when everyone around the world was in lockdown and spending more time in the home, often consumed by caregiving. The visual movement centres around the “mama gaze”, an introspective look at home and care by female and non-binary visual artists.
This iconic book of photographs brings together the images from this movement, experiencing the light and dark of care and parenthood, the beauty of close-up details, love and hardship, and most importantly, the personal poetic truths of these mamas and artists.
The Eye Mama book highlights the narrative of motherhood, allowing us to see for the first time in history through the eyes of mamas worldwide, because mama gaze matters!
The Eye Mama Project has been featured in National Geographic, Vogue, Stern, Romper, British Journal of Photography, Creative Review and more. Go to www.eyemamaproject.com to find out more
Text in English and German.
- teNeues Books
- Publish date
- 1st Jun 2023
- World excluding Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands
- 300 mm x 235 mm
- 224 Pages
- 150 color
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.