From Albrecht Dürer to Andy Warhol
Highlights from the Graphische Sammlung ETH Zürich
- A large-format, beautifully designed and lavishly illustrated portrait of ETH Zürich’s vast collection of prints and drawings
- Features some 300 outstanding works held in the Graphische Sammlung ETH Zürich
- Explores the collection’s history and evolution from today’s perspective
- Exhibition: From Albrecht Dürer to Andy Warhol: Highlights from the Graphische Sammlung ETH Zürich at MASI Lugano (10 September 2023 to 7 January 2024)
Whether Old Masters or young Swiss art, whether printed or drawn: with holdings of more than 160,000 works on paper, the Graphische Sammlung ETH Zürich, the famous university’s collection of prints and drawings, is one of the largest and finest of its kind in Switzerland and internationally. Albrecht Dürer, Maria Sibylla Merian, Rembrandt van Rijn, and Pablo Picasso are represented alongside contemporary greats such as Louise Bourgeois, Miriam Cahn, Fischli/Weiss, Urs Lüthi, and Shirana Shahbazi. Founded in 1867 as a classical academic study collection, the archive serves today as a focal point for scholars and art-lovers alike, and as the means for exchange between the university and the public.
This lavishly illustrated book takes readers on a fascinating journey across six centuries of art history, featuring some 300 of the collection’s highlights. An introductory essay on the history and evolution of the Graphische Sammlung ETH Zürich and brief texts on 40 selected works accompany the illustrations. The volume is rounded off by personal statements by contemporary artists and researchers from various disciplines, who testify to and comment on the significance and topicality of the collection’s holdings.
- Scheidegger & Spiess
- 10th Nov 2023
- Paperback / softback
- World excluding Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, United States, Canada, and Japan
- 280 mm x 235 mm
- 401 Pages
- 309 color, 7 b&w