A City and Its Fashion Makers
- With internationally renowned labels and newcomers this publication offers a representational overview of the vibrant western-oriented fashion scene in Turkey
- A selection of fashion designs from past and current collections conveys not only a glimpse of the artistic developments from the participating designers but also reveals their cultural-historical and personal inspiration
- The Museum for Applied Art, Cologne, is hosting an accompanying exhibition showcasing pieces from the designers featured in this book from 6 November to 30 January 2010
Istanbul – city of contrasts, mediator between orient and occident, former grandiose seat of power of the Sultan in the Ottoman Empire, today a bubbling cultural metropolis on the Bosphorus, European City of Culture in 2010, twin town of Cologne since 1997. In the hip quarters of Tesvikiye und Nisantasi, which are the preferred districts of artists and designers, the range of artistic approaches and attitudes is ever-present. The new Turkish art and design scene has been shaped by the innovative breakthrough of the twenty-first century like almost no other city in Europe. Whether in art, design, music or literature, Istanbul is the creative heart of the Turkish avant-garde.
The creations of Istanbul’s fashion designers are always astonishing, unconventional and modern. They move between history and modernity, tradition and innovation, between humanism and the cosmopolitan, philosophy and religion – poles which, for the Turkish designers, definitely do not oppose one another. To all of them Istanbul is an inexhaustible source of impressions, stimuli, ideas and images. Features works from Arzu Kaprol, Bahar Korçan| Dilek Hanif, Gamze Saraçoglu, Hakan Yildirim, Hatice Gökçe, Idil Tarzi, Mehtap Elaidi, Özlem Süer, Selim Baklaci, Simay Bülbül and Zeynep Tosun.
Text in English, German & Turkish.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 26th Jan 2011
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East, China non-exclusive
- 285 mm x 305 mm
- 406 Pages
- 300 color, 12 b&w