- First monograph of Johnsen Schmaling’s critically acclaimed work
- Eight of the thirteen projects featured in-depth in the book have not been published before
- Geared towards design professionals and a general audience alike, the book combines beautiful, engaging project photography with fascinating drawings and accessible imagery that document Johnsen Schmaling’s ideas generation and elaborate design process
- With a focus on Johnsen Schmaling’s award-winning contemporary homes, the book offers a unique perspective on innovative residential design in both urban and rural locales
- The carefully designed layout and crisp graphics of the book make it a work of art in its own right
In a world that fetishises aesthetic frivolity and iconographic bombast at the expense of substance and nuance, the critically acclaimed work of Johnsen Schmaling Architects stands out for its conceptual rigor, profound simplicity, and quiet repose. Formally restrained and informed by innovative tectonic and material experimentations, Johnsen Schmaling’s precisely crafted architecture creates poetic atmospheres of enduring clarity.
Johnsen Schmaling: On Rigor is the firm’s first monograph and provides an in-depth look at thirteen seminal residential and commercial projects. The book reveals how the architects’ unique reading of context and cultural memory translates into an abstract palette of architectural operations that guide the entire design process, from initial concepts to intricate, meticulously detailed material assemblies.The crisply designed book features beautiful photography and delightful graphics that Illustrate how the projects came to life.
- ORO Editions
- Publish date
- 8th Nov 2021
- Paperback / softback
- World excluding USA, Canada, Australasia & Asia (except Japan; China non-exclusive)
- 254 mm x 178 mm
- 200 Pages