Maison de la Chine
A Building by Atelier FCJZ
- First book on the new Maison de la Chine, the latest addition to the famous Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP), opened in 2023
- Documents the building and its design and construction process through sketches, drawings, plans, and photographs
- With essays by distinguished curators and critics Martino Stierli and Ariel Genadt
- The Maison de la Chine is the first European building designed by the leading Chinese firm Atelier FCJZ
In 2023, the new Maison de la Chine was opened as part of the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris (CIUP), the French capital’s famous campus of student residencies founded in 1925. Designed by Beijing-based Atelier Feichang Jianzhu (Atelier FCJZ) and realised in collaboration with the French architecture firm Coldefy, the building continues the tradition of national pavilions within the CIUP. The Maison de la Chine’s design bears the DNA of traditional Chinese architecture, yet Atelier FCJZ also clearly acknowledges its inspiration from Le Corbusier.
This book documents the building and its design process in rich detail through sketches, drawings, plans, and photographs. Architectural historian and curator Martino Stierli places the Maison de la Chine in the context of the evolution of contemporary Chinese architecture. Yung Ho Chang and Yishi Cheng, respectively the founding partner of and project architect at Atelier FCJZ, discuss conceptual and technical aspects of the design. The volume is completed by American critic Ariel Genadt, whose essay relates the building to the site’s extraordinary history and the culture within which it was created.
- Park Books
- Publish date
- 8th Jul 2024
- Paperback / softback
- World excluding Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, United States, Canada, and Japan
- 235 mm x 205 mm
- 120 Pages
- 30 color, 8 b&w