Masterpieces of Russian Stage Design
Log in to add this to your wishlist.
- A unique and celebrated collection, that charts the most important interludes within the Russian cultural renaissance of the early 20th Century
- Features an introduction by top academics in the field
- Subjects include: set and costume designs, portraits and promotional material such as posters
- Reproduces more than one thousand entries, including artist biographies and scholarly details
- Includes works by important artists such as Benois, Goncharova, Larionov, Popova, Rodchenko, and Tatlin, as well as their famous and lesser-known contemporaries
Full Description“This richly illustrated volume explores the Lobanov-Rostovsky collection… includes a thorough glossary and bibliography” Apollo “The essays and commentaries here provide valuable documentation and insights into the designs, their genesis, and the extent of this astonishing period in theatrical history” The Financial Times
Masterpieces of Russian Stage Design 1880-1930 examines the Lobanov-Rostovsky collection of stage design, in turn outlining the history of modern Russian art: one of the most important interludes within the cultural renaissance of the early twentieth century. Unique in size, scope, and composition, the collection is unequalled; artists include celebrities such as Bakst, Benois, Goncharova, Larionov, Malevich, Popova, Rodchenko, and Tatlin as well as less familiar names such as Anisfeld, Lissim, Remisoff, and Soudeikine. This volume (the first of a two-part set) includes over 200 colour illustrations of selected designs as well as an introduction, interview, indices (to artists, theatre companies, and primary productions), a glossary of terms, and a comprehensive bibliography for the visual and performing arts in Russia. From Neo-Nationalism and Symbolism through Cubo-Futurism and Suprematism to Constructivism and Socialist Realism, Masterpieces of Russian Stage Design guides the reader through the movements, styles, productions and projects that attracted many of Russia’s early twentieth-century artists to the stage. The companion volume, Encyclopedia of Russian Stage Design ISBN: 9781851497195 (to be published in 2013), is the catalogue raisonné of the Lobanov-Rostovsky collection.
- ACC Art Books
- 18th Sep 2012
- 300 mm x 230 mm
- 424 Pages
- 243 color, 14 b&w