New Jewellery from Idar-Oberstein
- With over 400 images this richly illustrated book is a milestone in 21st century art jewellery presentation
- Many never before seen photographs including the fascinating 'Remake' project which ties together jewellery and fine art
- Accompanying the exhibition at the Stadtmuseum Simeonstift Trier (DE), 27.11.2016-26.2.2017
Beginning with the renaissance of gemstones in jewellery design since the 1970s, Ute Eitzenhöfer, Theo Smeets, Lothar Brügel (ret. 2014) and Eva-Maria Kollischan (since 2014) successfully established the Hochschule Trier in Idar-Oberstein as a creative European jewellery centre. To mark the exhibition in the Stadtmusem Simeonstift in Trier on thirty years of the Gemstone and Jewellery Department, the publication shows an exciting selection of works from the last ten years. Works in creative design and photography accompany diverse approaches that exemplify the contemporary use of a reputedly ‘outmoded’ raw material. In exploring the aesthetic characteristics of the material and the experimental confrontation with its physical qualities, the gemstone’s potential for design comes entirely into its own. Within current discourse it comments ironically, on the one hand, on the unilateral societal ascription as a luxury item; on the other, it functions as a charming and noble object of nature.
Text in English and German.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 22nd Nov 2016
- Paperback / softback
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East non-exclusive
- 252 mm x 181 mm
- 368 Pages
- 266 color, 22 b&w