A Project for Suburban China
- The book is not addressed exclusively to academics, but to a wider public interested on the processes of urbanisation in contemporary China
- The publication includes many photographs by Raul Ariano, a professional photographer based in Shanghai. All the pictures, including maps, architectural drawings and diagrams, have been specifically prepared for this publication by the authors
- The afterword by Gong DONG (founder of Vector Architects) are expected to open up debate on the role of architects in approaching suburban spaces to expertise and practitioners
- The book will be the basis for teaching activities at Politecnico di Torino and South China University of Technology
The unprecedented growth faced by the Chinese cities in the last decades entailed serious consequences: economic and social disparities, environmental crises, and demographic imbalances between the rural and the urban areas. These issues, together with a growing awareness of the intrinsic unsustainability of Chinese economic model, has stimulated debate on redefining the approach to urban development.
In this framework, Lishui, a minor municipality of Zhezjiang Province, launched the international competition Future ShanShui City. Dwellings in Lishui Mountains in 2020. In line with the main policies enacted at national level, this competition highlights the need of new spatial relations between urban and rural. This approach leads to a radical reconfiguration of the suburban spaces, which is giving rise to an unprecedent landscape where urban services are integrated in the countryside areas, and, vice versa, agriculture and environmental elements are part of the city.
The publication explores the ongoing processes of suburbanisation in Lishui Valley based on three years of design, research and teaching activities carried out by Politecnico di Torino and South China University of Technology since 2020. With a rich collection of original essays and projects, this book combines reflexive knowledge, critical imagination, and design experimentation to provide scenarios for Chinese suburban development.
- ORO Editions
- Publish date
- 10th Jul 2023
- Paperback / softback
- World excluding USA, Canada, Australasia & Asia (except Japan; China non-exclusive)
- 267 mm x 191 mm
- 172 Pages
- 100 color
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.