Caroline Baker - The Woman Who Invented Street Fashion
- The illustrated story of super-stylist Caroline Baker – the woman who shaped modern street fashion
- Explores Baker’s highly influential career – in her own words
- Featuring stunning images (some previously unseen) by celebrated photographers including Helmut Newton, Sarah Moon, Saul Leiter and Guy Bourdin
- Exclusive contributions from Vivienne Westwood, Katherine Hamnett and Manolo Blahnik
- Perfect for fans and students of fashion, photography, design and art
"I have always been inspired by what was happening on the street – and anyway, I couldn't afford the high fashion price tags." - Caroline Baker
Caroline Baker is the antidote to high fashion. As the legendary fashion editor of Nova magazine in the 1960s, her style was quite literally cutting-edge (she famously chopped up clothes to achieve her desired looks). She is credited with challenging the status quo of the industry and society at large, and introducing street fashion to the mass market. Stylist-of-choice for the most dynamic female designers on the scene – Katharine Hamnett and Vivienne Westwood – Caroline has continued her trajectory as a fashion provocateur. Her work has appeared on the pages of Vogue, Tatler and Cosmopolitan as well as The Face and i-D – and unsurprisingly, a new generation of style-setters is now looking to Baker’s back catalogue for inspiration.
This book offers an in-depth overview of Baker’s work, expertly curated and considered by Iain R. Webb. It is divided into sections that highlight specific recurring themes and tropes – such as Punk Rock, DIY, Utility and Sportswear. These ideas have defined Baker’s evolving sartorial vocabulary over six decades, and set a template for street fashion that endures to this day. Accompanied with personal commentary from Baker herself and specially written contributions by Vivienne Westwood and Katherine Hamnett, this is the definitive guide to Caroline Baker and her influence on fashion.
- ACC Art Books
- Publish date
- 11th Oct 2021
- Paperback / softback
- 270 mm x 215 mm
- 272 Pages
- 300 colour