Contemporary Seminole Art
- Includes work by the artists Noah Billie, Wilson Bowers, Houston R. Cypress, Elisa Harkins, Alyssa Osceola, Jessica Osceola, C. Maxx Stevens, Tony Tiger, Hulleah J. Tsinhnahjinnie, Brian Zepeda, Corinne Zepeda, and Pedro Zepeda
- Includes Seminole artists in Florida as well as Oklahoma where much of the diaspora was forced to relocate
- First full treatment of this culture through its contemporary art
- Accompanies major exhibition at The Ringling, Sarasota, FL (March 18 – September 4, 2023)
Expressing stories of Native American survival and resistance, Reclaiming Home: Contemporary Seminole Art explores the work of 12 contemporary artists of the Seminole diaspora. This stunning volume illustrates how Seminole and mixed-heritage artists combine traditional skills and techniques – knowledge passed down to them from elders, family members, and ancestors – with innovative modes of expression and varied materials, including photo-based and digital collage techniques, performance, video, installation art, and mixed media. Their work engages concepts of hybridity and image-making and highlights social issues impacting Native communities today, from environmental protection to public health imperatives. Accompanied by critical and personal essays by leading scholars as well as artists’ statements and an interview, Reclaiming Home: Contemporary Seminole Art proposes contemporary works of art as powerful expressions of Native sovereignty.
- Scala Arts & Heritage Publishers
- 14th Apr 2023
- Paperback / softback
- 280 mm x 240 mm
- 128 Pages
- 70 color
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.