Rolex: Investing in Wristwatches
- An important new reference for all Rolex lovers and collectors
- Written by experts Osvaldo Patrizzi and Mara Cappelletti and introduced by the Chairman of Sotheby’s International Watch Division, Daryn F. Schnipper
- 385 key models, with analysis of details and prices realised at auction
- Contains a history of luxury wristwatch auctions and relevant information for collectors looking to invest
- The first part of a series, with Patek Philippe: Investing in Wristwatches to follow
“Absolutely essential for all the connoisseurs and Rolex lovers.” — Laura Astrologo Porché, celebremagazine world
Why do we collect? For some, it is a pursuit of pure passion – those who appreciate the wristwatch as an artform: the intricacy of its mechanics, the finesse of its form. Yet for others, collecting is an investment, and a watch’s value is of as much importance as its appearance. All collectors ought to have a guide to models and market value. Rolex: Investing in Wristwatches offers detailed insights into the world of authenticating and pricing high-value wristwatches, which will be of use to collectors from amateur to connoisseur.
This publication includes the vast majority of key Rolex models, along with their relevant auction results. The timepieces featured have been carefully selected by Senior Horological Expert, Osvaldo Patrizzi. These wristwatches excel for a diverse range of reasons, including technical excellence, auction records, design and anecdotal history. A description of each watch is accompanied by its picture, reference and sales values (rights included).
A comparative analysis of auction results, compiled through close collaboration with the Sotheby’s auction house, shows, by brand and timepiece, the evolution of prices over time, leading from the Eighties up to the present day. A system to calculate the currency exchange rate at the time of auction sales will also be included in this vital work of reference.