The Cocktail Seminars
Log in to add this to your wishlist.
- A tongue-in-cheek “textbook” that offers a complete education in the history and practice of mixology, in five “seminars” covering thirty drinks each
- It can also be consulted for reliable drink recipes as needed
- A supremely giftable volume, bound in vegan leather and equipped with the helpful charts and illustrations one would expect from a textbook, The Cocktail Seminars grew out of a not-for-credit course that the author, Brian Hoefling, taught as a senior at Yale
- Hoefling, the founder of Boston’s Herzog Cocktail School, has taught cocktail classes throughout the Northeast. He is also the author of Abbeville’s Distilled Knowledge, about the science of drinking.
Full DescriptionAs a senior at Yale, Brian Hoefling realised that his classmates were about to enter the real world with an imperfect knowledge of how to order, prepare, and enjoy cocktails. To remedy this dangerous deficiency, he devised and taught The Cocktail Seminars. In his subsequent career as a cocktail teacher and writer, Hoefling has developed and refined The Cocktail Seminars into the present book. Each of the five seminars herein (from beginner to advanced) covers 30 different drinks, which are arranged so as to progressively introduce the ingredients of mixology, as well as its history and its core principles – souring, bittering, sweetening, aromatising, drying, lengthening, and mouthfeel. Problem sets and exams challenge readers to apply what they’ve learned to the creation of new and variant drinks. Those who are less serious about their cocktail education may also consult The Cocktail Seminars for drink recipes as needed, or display it as a handsome accessory on their bar cart – but they are only robbing themselves of a brighter future through the gift of education. The Cocktail Seminars is handsomely bound in vegan leather and furnished with all the charts and photographs one would expect from a proper textbook. It will make an excellent gift for all but teetotalers.
- Abbeville Press
- 20th May 2021
- World excluding USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Australia
- 203 mm x 127 mm
- 376 Pages