- The first all-in-one illustrated history of video games, covering the games, the consoles, and the social phenomenon of gaming
- Illustrated with vintage consoles, cartridges, and other artifacts from the world-class collection of the Videogame Art Museum in Bologna
- Also includes screenshots of classic games
- The perfect gift for anyone who's held onto their 8-bit NES
A spectacular visual history of video games from 1958 to the present.
In the past 65 years, video games have evolved from primitive computer-lab experiments into one of the world’s most popular forms of entertainment and — many would say — an important new art form. Video Games traces every step of this fascinating journey, from Pong to the Atari 2600; to the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles; to Wolfenstein 3D and Doom; to Playstation and Xbox; to MMORPGs; to Minecraft and Fortnite; to Twitch streaming.
The lively text gives equal attention to the games, the gaming platforms, and the personalities and subcultures of the gaming world. It is illustrated throughout with beautiful colour photographs of mint-condition retro hardware and cartridges from one of the world’s finest collections, and with screenshots of classic games. Video Games: A Retro-Spective is the perfect nostalgic gift for gamers of every generation.
- Abbeville Press
- Publish date
- 16th Apr 2024
- World excluding USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Australia
- 260 mm x 210 mm
- 240 Pages