Die Gestaltungslehre des Bauhäuslers Hanns Hoffmann-Lederer
- First publication of Hoffmann-Lederer’s design and teaching manuscript
- Example for continuation of Bauhaus ideas after World War II
- The rare documentation of the prolific work of an almost unknown Bauhaus Master
- Text in German
The topicality of Hanns Hoffmann-Lederer’s (1899–1970) design doctrine, with its claim to a comprehensive aesthetic education, lies in the fact that it represents an important counterbalance to today’s euphoria for digitalisation. For a long time the young Bauhaus Master and design pedagogue opposed the publication of his concept for a fundamental artistic education, one which united and expanded the content of many different trends within the Bauhaus teachings. For him the risk that his exercises could be misunderstood as prescriptive was too great. Yet greater still was the drive of his enthusiastic students, who compiled exemplar images, edited teaching notes, and in 1958 conceived the first draft for a potential publication. Here Justus Theinert and Rainer K. Wick trace the moving life and the distinct pedagogical attributes of this fascinating personality.
Text in German.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 2nd Aug 2021
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East non-exclusive
- 210 mm x 210 mm
- 272 Pages
- 45 color, 158 b&w