Georgian Jewellery 1714-1830
Laminated paper board
ACC Art Books
Size: 297 mm x 240 mm
Illustrations: 295 colour, 7 b&w
- A thoroughly researched look at the jewellery of the time, offering good basic knowledge for the beginner and new facts for the expert
- New and/or little-known facts about the techniques, styles and materials of the age
- The only book solely on the Georgian period, and the largest ever catalogue of the diverse range of eighteenth century jewellery
- Interesting portraits of characters of the period and their influence on the jewels of the time, with some contemporary gossip, outrageous cartoons and period fashion tips
- Emphasis on jewellery that has been on the open market in recent years, rather than just unobtainable museum pieces
Georgian Jewellery is a celebration of the style and excellence of the eighteenth century, and of the ingenuity that produced such a wealth of fabulous jewellery.
Heavy academic tomes have already been written about the period, but this book examines it in a more colourful and accessible way. The book aims to show that Georgian jewellery is not only the stuff of museums and safe boxes, but that it can be worn as elegantly and fashionably today as it was 200 years ago.
Much disparate information about the jewellery has been gathered together and the period is brought alive by portraits and character sketches of famous Georgians in their finery, fashion tips, gossip, and some rather outrageous cartoons of the time, as well as fascinating recently discovered facts. With information on how to identify, buy and repair pieces, this sumptuously illustrated volume contains the largest single catalogue of 18th Century jewellery.