Beyond the Pain
- The artistic exploration of an archetypal theme
- The book asks: how can art help in overcoming pain
- Artists from many backgrounds present their approach
"Pain is whatever the experiencing person says it is, existing whenever he says it does." - Margo McCAaffery, 1968.
The catalogue Beyond the Pain, published for the exhibition of the same name at Galerie Stadt Sindelfingen, addresses approaches to conquering pain within the visual arts. Twelve renowned national and international artists demonstrate how negative physical and psychological experiences can be transformed into a positive attitude to life, and contributions from academics complement and discuss the overcoming of pain. The reception of art, just like the experience of pain, is as much informed by cultural-societal norms as it is a profoundly individual experience; to this end contemporary art is connected to a universal theme of humanity.
Text in English and German.
Published to accompany an exhibition at Galerie Stadt Sindelfingen (DE), 10 October 2020 to 30 May 2021.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 21st Dec 2020
- Paperback / softback
- Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East non-exclusive
- 260 mm x 190 mm
- 160 Pages
- 130 color