A Journey with India
- For those interested in photography, architecture and urbanism, travel, culture, regional interest, religion and philosophy
- It is a contemporary and unique view of 21st century India. The breadth, scope and geographic locations of the work make Departures one of the most extensive photographic collections on India in a singular book or publication
- It goes deeper than traditional street photography by opening the door to look within at offices, homes, factories, and institutions
- It presents spiritual India in great depth reflecting a pluralist and multi faith country documenting Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Muslim, and Christian belief systems and practices. Maha Kumbh Mela 2013 is also included here
Nowhere is the human condition more apparent than in India, a window to life, a window to all. Departures presents a journey through place, life, and our preparations for departure from the material to the ethereal. To journey with India is to reflect, a portal to the experiences of a universal human condition, Departures weaves together a sometimes-haunting story of modernity and urbanisation with an ancient, diverse, and complex land.
A work in the humanist and social realist genre of photography, Departures reflects on the 21st century urban stage contrasting the gritty realism of urban life, work and the struggles and joys of the everyday with the dramatic beauty of people, ritual, belief, and landscape.
Created from an archive of 20 years photographing, living and working in India, Departures goes beyond the often incidental or serendipitous nature of street photography to open the door and explore the life within.
- ORO Editions
- Publish date
- 14th Nov 2022
- World excluding USA, Canada, Australasia & Asia (except Japan; China non-exclusive)
- 304 mm x 228 mm
- 240 Pages
- 200 color