In Trockenen Tüchern
Gewebtes und Besticktes aus dem Osmanischen Reich
- Elaborate crafted embroidery from the Ottoman empire on full display
- Scholarly essays describe the techniques in detail but also the cultural and historical background
- A presentation of the skilled craftmanship in Turkey today
- Published to accompany an exhibition at Museum Fünf Kontinente, Munich (DE), from 9 December 2022 — 11 June 2023
A hundred years after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the Museum Fünf Kontinente is showing the special exhibition In trockenen Tüchern! Gewebtes und Besticktes aus dem Osmanischen Reich [A Stitch in Time! Woven and Embroidered Textiles from the Ottoman Empire]. The accompanying publication provides an insight into the different aspects of inhabitants’ life during the Late Ottoman Empire, based on selected textiles and everyday items from the collections of the Museum Fünf Kontinente as well as the private collections of Ther and Middendorf. Together with their rural counterparts featuring woven red and blue patterns, the napkins and hand towels from the 18th to 20th century, artistically embroidered with blossom, fruits, or architectural elements, accompanied people from cradle to grave and bear impressive witness to their craftsmanship. Today these textile objects are a significant part of the cultural legacy of Turkey.
Text in German with partial Turkish translation.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 14th Feb 2023
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East, China non-exclusive
- 280 mm x 220 mm
- 176 Pages
- 121 color
Distributed by ACC Art Books
Please log-in or create an account to see your recent items.