Land & Sea – A Life in Catterline
- Focuses on a much-loved artist
- The first book to focus specifically on Eardley’s time in Catterline
- Brings to light significant new research
- Published in 2021 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of Joan Eardley’s birth
- From the same author as the highly successful Joan Eardley: A Sense of Place, ISBN 9781911054023
In 1951, Joan Eardley visited the coastal fishing village of Catterline in north-east Scotland for the first time. Her visit sparked a fascination that would last the rest of her life. She made the village her home and found inspiration in the dramatic light and rapidly changing weather. The gentle landscapes and wild rolling seascapes she painted of Catterline in wind, snow, rain and sun are among her best-loved works.
Unpublished archival material and interviews with many of those who knew her shed new light on Eardley’s life in Catterline. A vivid portrait is painted both of Eardley and of the village, showing the vital part Catterline played in her development as an artist.
The story of her experiences on the wild Scottish coast is evocatively told and beautifully illustrated with some of her most remarkable drawings and paintings.
- National Galleries of Scotland
- 4th Oct 2021
- Paperback / softback
- 220 mm x 245 mm
- 168 Pages
- 74 color, 45 b&w