The Scene and the Unseen
Opera in Pictures. Photographs by Monika Rittershaus
- Discover Monika Rittershaus' profound and dramatic visual compositions
- Photos from over 70 opera productions from all over the world
- Scene photography uncovering gentle, touching, and peripheral moments
Photographer Monika Rittershaus is regarded as an inspiring interpreter of today’s musical theatre in all its diversity, opulence, and drama, but also in its human profundity, uniqueness, and veracity. As a highly sensitive observer, she looks out over the on-stage activity, uncovering gentle, touching, and peripheral moments. Barrie Kosky: “I have often observed Monika at work through the corner of my eye as I sit behind the production desk ... She seems to sense the inner world of a moment and to know at exactly the right moment when to click her camera.” In her highly stringent visual compositions, Rittershaus depicts in a personalized and decisive way such influential directors as Achim Freyer, Barrie Kosky, Romeo Castellucci, Christof Loy, Claus Guth, Christoph Marthaler, Johannes Erath, Patrice Chéreau, Hans Neuenfels, Calixto Bieito, Silvia Costa, Andreas Homoki, Nadja Loschky, Mariame Clément, Dmitri Tcherniakov, Kirill Serebrennikow, Tobias Kratzer, R. B. Schlather, and Robert Carsen.
Text in English and German.
- Arnoldsche Art Publishers
- 12th Aug 2022
- Paperback / softback
- UK, US, Eastern Europe, France, Benelux, Japan, South Korea, Africa, South America & Ireland exclusive. South Africa, N&M East non-exclusive
- 280 mm x 220 mm
- 224 Pages
- 108 color