Starting to Collect Antique Silver
Antique Collectors' Club
Size: 240 mm x 195 mm
Illustrations: 259 colour, 203 b&w
- The classic ACC series now available in a new, larger size at the same price!
- Explains the background of silver production and the nature of silver
- Coverage of world marks
- A wide-ranging survey of all types of silver, from tableware to ornaments, including sections on silver plate and other associated metals
- Reliable advice on identifying fakes and altered pieces
- Expert guidance on how and where to buy silver
After an introduction to the full background of silver as a precious metal, Ian Pickford's guide offers a lively, authoritative survey of the diverse uses to which it has been put in decorative and practical objects throughout history.
He examines the makers, their techniques, and the types of decoration used, and also gives clear coverage of marks and assay offices, an understanding of which is vital to the collector.
There is coverage of fakes and altered silver, as well as advice on caring for silver. This is an ideal book for the novice collector who wishes to avoid pitfalls and ill-advised purchases. Existing collectors will find all titles in the series act as handy and portable references, and beginners will welcome a reliable, accessible starting point from which their interests can develop.
"This fascinating book describes, in an easy to read manner, the many problems and pitfalls which face the novice ... It would be impossible for a beginner to read this book without learning" The Independent
"An ideal book for the novice collector who wishes to avoid pitfalls and ill advised purchases" Antiques Info